Father's guide to divorce and separation

Includes advice on separation, and on dealing with separation out of court. The section on divorce includes how to prepare before you go to court and what procedures are followed. A section is devoted to handling the divorce without using lawyers, and on the use of McKenzie friends (a friend in court) in court.

Advice for Unmarried Father's

Few unmarried father's realise that when their new bundle of joy is born that they have no rights to stay in the life of that child. For example an unmarried father is not able to inspect medical records, or obtain details of school progress of their children. These rights completely depend on the goodwill of the mother. To obtain equal rights as mothers is a very simple procedure called a Parental Responsibility Agreement and usually involves a short visit to a local family court. Fathers are advised to do this soon after the child is born. Click on the above link for details.

Data Protection Act 1998

You are able to access all paper and computer records held on you under the data protection act. This applies to all court, CSA, and social service records about you. This information must also be accurate. Accessing information held under the Data Protection Act 1998 is called making a subject access request.

Keeping in Contact with your Children

The resident parent should encourage a child to have contact with the other parent, and the extended family. Click on this link for some help and some guidelines for parents.

Parental Alienation Syndrome

Also known as PAS, is the systematic denigration by one parent by the other with the intent of alienating the child against the other parent. The purpose of the alienation is usually to gain or retain custody without the involvement of the father. The alienation usually extends to the father's family and friends as well.

A web site covering this subject is also available at:
Parental Alienation Site

False accusations of domestic violence

Gives advice on what to do if you find yourself falsely accused of domestic violence.

Advice for fathers with a child at school

Gives advice on what rights fathers have with regard to their child at school and to be kept informed by the school about their childs progress.

Future sections:
Child advice
Marriage advice
Campaigning - What you can do.

Back to Home Page